Are you a jewelry maker, and you are trying to figure out how to sell jewelry on Etsy? Well, this article is in your best interest. To start with, Etsy is hands down one of the best platforms for selling jewelry online. Listings on Etsy get better visibility on search engines, all thanks to the site's tremendous rank.
That means if your items are listed right, they will be shown to potential buyers even without having to advertise actively. The many existing buyers on Etsy give new jewelry sellers a head start in the business. While opening an Etsy shop is pretty easy and quick, it takes some work to maximize the platform's potential and get more visibility.
After all, jewelry is the most competitive niche on Etsy. All in all, there are a few general tips you can take advantage of to make sure your jewelry store is a success. With that in mind, here's a guide on how to sell jewelry on Etsy.
Open Your Jewelry Store on Etsy
The first step to selling your jewelry on Etsy is opening an Etsy store. This is probably the easiest step.
1. Go to the official Etsy Website and click on 'Open your Etsy Shop' to register. Complete the registration process by entering your Etsy shop preferences, including the language, shop currency, country, and whether it's your full-time income or not, then confirm your Etsy account via email.
(Remember to save your details every time before you continue)
2. Choose a unique name for your Etsy jewelry shop, then check for the name availability. Choose the name carefully as Etsy allows you to change the name only once.
3. Set up your payment methods. Etsy needs to know your tax filing status. Select whether you are an individual or registered legal entity in the payment settings section.
4. Set up your billing information. Etsy will require your credit card information to pay for Etsy listing fees, transaction fees, and payment processing fees.
5. Click the 'Open Shop' button at the bottom of the final section.
6. List items in your Etsy shop. After you're done with the registration process, click the 'Your Shop' button and add product images of your jewelry to your shop. You'll need to add as many product images as possible to entice your target customers.
7. Fill in the required listing details, including product descriptions, shipping information, and pricing. Ensure your shop has clear and comprehensive shipping, return and refund policies and processing time to avoid misunderstandings with your buyer.
8. Once you've entered all the listing details, click on the 'Publish' button at the bottom of the page. That will make your products visible to Etsy's wide range of shoppers.
Now that you know how to set up your Etsy jewelry shop, let's further look into how to ensure target shoppers find your products among all the active listings on Etsy. We'll delve more into that in this next section.
Cost to Sell Jewely on Etsy
Listing Fee: $0.20 USD per item for a four-month listing or until the item sells, whichever comes first. You won’t be charged a listing fee if you create a private listing unless it’s sold.
Transaction Fee: When an item is sold, Etsy charges a transaction fee of 6.5% of the item's total sale price, including shipping costs and gift wrappin.
Payment Processing Fee: This fee varies based on the location of the seller and the buyer. For US sellers, the payment processing fee is 3% + $0.25 USD for each transaction.
Optional Etsy Ads Fees: Sellers can opt for additional services, such as promoting listings through Etsy Ads, which may incur extra costs. Sellers can set a daily maximum budget to control the amount they spend on promoting their listings or shops.
Offsite Ads Fee: The Etsy Offsite Ads fee is a charge for sellers when Etsy purchases offsite advertising from other networks like social media and search engines. If a buyer clicks on an ad featuring a seller's listing and makes a purchase within 30 days, the seller is charged an advertising fee on that order. The fee percentage depends on the seller's shop sales over the prior 365 days. Sellers with sales under $10,000 USD are charged 15% on Attributed Orders, but they can opt out. Sellers with sales of $10,000 USD or more are charged 12% on Attributed Orders. The fee is deducted from the seller's earnings, and calculations are done on a monthly basis.
Get Found By Target Customers
Typically, Etsy will only highlight products more likely to be purchased by customers. Its algorithm is designed to consider the quality of your listing score, which determines how well your item performs in searches.
What's more, if a customer views, purchases, or 'favorites' your product, this significantly strengthens your quality score. With that in mind, you should continue enticing your target customers to interact with your listings. This can be achieved through;
· Product Photography
According to a survey conducted by Etsy, almost 90% of shoppers go for items with the best high-quality images. That means you need quality images to at least pique the attention of your target audience.
More specifically, photography in the jewelry business can be challenging since the item is relatively small and reflective. However, even though it's hard, it doesn't mean it's impossible. Showcasing high-quality jewelry images not only attracts your target customers but also presents the item more clearly. That gives potential customers a chance to see all the intricate details of the jewelry, plus its design.
Factors influencing Etsy shoppers to make a purchase (Sourced from Etsy)
Additionally, high-quality images reduce the number of questions that customers might have concerning the jewelry item. That will eventually increase engagement between your jewelry business and customers. On top of that, high-quality images evoke customers' responses, strengthening your listing quality score. Here's an excellent example of high-quality images from a jewelry store on Etsy
· Product Description
Here's your chance to get creative because, let's be honest, dull and uninspiring product descriptions don't sell. Thankfully, Etsy offers a spacious section for product descriptions hence offering the perfect space to let your imagination run wild. However, don't go too wild.
Typically, always write a product description that appeals to the target customers and evokes an emotional response from them. That will be easier to establish a connection with the item. And as we all know, jewelry items always have a special place in our hearts. So take advantage of this when writing the ideal product description. More importantly, don't forget to humanize your tone.
If you can, try to create a scenario where these items can be worn, for instance, at cocktail parties or weddings, something that customers can easily relate to. More often than not, jewelry sellers on Etsy always have a straightforward approach when writing product descriptions. They focus primarily on the material used, dimensions, and other details. And it's almost impossible to find sellers who concentrate on attempting to evoke responses from customers.
· Keyword Ranking
Another part that you should directly concentrate on is the keywords used when listing and describing your item. One of the best ways to increase your traffic is by listing your item using commonly searched keywords.
Thankfully, we now have keyword tools that you can use to identify which keywords work well with your items. For instance, you can use the Keyword Tool Dominator. With this tool, you can pick up the best keywords, thereby increasing the traffic to your jewelry.
When developing a marketing strategy for selling on Etsy, a balanced approach that includes both organic and paid advertising can yield the best results. Leveraging organic marketing through social media platforms can significantly enhance the visibility of a seller's Etsy shop. Engaging and authentic content, such as showcasing the creative process, behind-the-scenes glimpses, and customer testimonials, can help establish a strong brand presence and attract a loyal following. Utilizing relevant hashtags and collaborating with influencers or complementary brands can further amplify reach and drive traffic to the Etsy store.
On the other hand, paid ads through Etsy's Advertising Dashboard provide a targeted way to reach potential customers within the Etsy marketplace itself. Sellers can set a budget and bid on keywords to have their listings displayed prominently to relevant audiences, increasing the chances of conversions. Integrating both organic and paid marketing efforts allows sellers to maximize their online presence, reach a wider audience, and achieve success on the competitive platform that Etsy offers.
Pitfalls to Avoid When Selling Jewelry on Etsy
- Using Poor-Quality Photos: Don't use blurry or badly lit images, as they might discourage buyers from making a purchase.
- Copying Others' Photos: Never use pictures that belong to other sellers without permission. This can violate copyright rules and lead to shop closure.
- Forgetting Keywords: Pay attention to using relevant keywords in your listings' titles and descriptions. It helps your items appear in search results.
- Pricing Mistakes: Avoid setting prices too low, as it might make buyers question the quality. Also, don't overprice, as it can discourage potential customers.
- Not Enough Listings: Aim for at least 15 listings in your shop to give buyers more options and encourage them to explore your store.
- Ignoring Customer Service: Always respond quickly to customer inquiries and provide excellent service to build trust and encourage repeat business.
- Misleading Descriptions: Be truthful and accurate in describing your jewelry to avoid disappointing customers and getting negative reviews.
- Neglecting Shop Policies: Make sure your shop policies, like shipping and returns, are clear and easy to find for customers.
- Ignoring Analytics: Use Etsy's analytics to track how your listings are performing and make informed decisions about your shop.
- Unappealing Packaging: Don't use low-quality or unattractive packaging, as it can impact the overall shopping experience for customers.
- Not Using Social Media: Take advantage of social media platforms to showcase your jewelry, connect with potential customers, and bring more visitors to your Etsy shop.
Ship to Your Customer
Shipping jewelry from your Etsy shop to your customers can be daunting. There are a couple of factors you need to consider. You need to consider how much you need to charge for shipping, set reasonable expectations on shipping time, and ensure you have packaging that not only impresses the customers but also protects the products.
Choose the ideal Packaging Materials
Packaging gives the first impression of your jewelry to your customers. You can add a personal touch to your packaging by using unique and protective packaging materials, especially since you're a delicate item.
You can add bubble wrap or more environmentally friendly alternatives like kraft paper and cardboard padded envelopes. Also, you can add a personalized note. That's always a nice touch that shows appreciation.
Pick Shipping Labels
While shipping labels are not mandatory when shipping your jewelry to customers, they always come in handy. That's because shipping labels on Etsy can automate critical steps in the fulfillment process. The buyer's address will be filled out on the label, making it easier to track items for delivery. Customers can also relax knowing when their orders will arrive.
With MUNBYN thermal shipping label printer, you can print high-quality and unique shipping labels in black. The best part is that this thermal printer can meet your daily shipping needs. Also, it has guarantees of high definition and clear shipping labels for your jewelry business.
You may also like: